Wow! What a busy and exciting start to the new year!
First, I want to welcome our new families who have enrolled since January into the Ballet with Miss Rachel family! We had a great turnout at our January registration and have been welcoming in new students (and adults!) ever since! Please don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions as we continue through our spring semester. We are so glad you are here!
In addition to welcoming new families, our Youth Company Students have been hard at work preparing for their upcoming performance, Dancer Strong. All the dancers had a great time at Silly Sock Week wearing some extremely silly socks and also bringing a friend. One class this past week had 18 students in it! What a blast!
I'm excited to send this update to you since it contains information about an upcoming performance as well as a chance to help spread awareness and support for a wonderful cause. So read on, read carefully and decide how you can get involved!
Please be sure to note that there are NO CLASSES Monday, February 20th at Ballet with Miss Rachel. Check out other important dates at the bottom of the email!
The Holiday Inn
Dancer Strong is a our first annual Gala Performance that gives Ballet with Miss Rachel students a chance to give back to the community by helping those in need in a unique way! By hosting a night full of dinner, dancing and a live performance by our Youth Company students, we are able to raise funds for two unique causes. First, the Youth Company students chose the Women's Resource Center to support this spring. This is a wonderful, local organization that assists women and children to find safety and support in cases of physical abuse and sexual assault. You can find out more about them here. Now, we would love to get the whole ballet school involved by bringing needed items in to donate to the WRC. Currently, the emergency advocacy program is in need of 10-12 in. NEW teddy bears, new sweat suits and new socks in all sizes from children to adults. Pick something up on your next trip to Target or Wal-Mart and drop it by the studio during your child's class. All donations must be turned in by March 2nd.
Half of the funds raised at the Dancer Strong Gala Performance will raise money for the WRC and the other half will be used to begin a scholarship fund for students wishing to dance at Ballet with Miss Rachel in the 2017-2018 year! Miss Rachel hopes to offer at least three partial scholarships to Upper School students next year. As dancers progress in talent and commitment, one of the hardest aspects of continuing training can be the increase in cost. While the study of ballet is worth every penny, Miss Rachel hopes that by beginning a scholarship fund the burden can be eased for families in need who have students showing interest in pursuing ballet training, talent, hard work, positive attitudes and commitment.
Whether you child is a youth company student or not, we hope that you will get involved by sending items to donate to the WRC, attending our event, or if you own a business or know someone who does, recommending sponsors to support this event!
News & Events
I'm excited to announce that Ballet with Miss Rachel will be partnering with the Radford Theatre to present Beauty and the Beast! This is an opportunity to ALL BWMR dancers in Pre-Ballet I & II and up! You will receive a separate email about this exciting opportunity in our community just as soon as the details are ironed out. Mark your calendars for the March 16th week-end if you are interested in participating!
Rural King is Opening Next Door!
We are excited about the new store opening in our plaza, however, this does mean that things will be a bit more crowded! Here are some things to remember as we adjust to having a (big!) new neighbor.
* Remind your children that there is more going on in the parking and to keep their eyes up and open for incoming traffic. It will be coming from all directions now!
* Allow an extra few minutes to park if you need to walk your Creative Dance & Pre-Ballet students in for class.
* Beginning Ballet I students & above may be dropped off by pulling up in front of the "Ballet with Miss Rachel" doors, but don't forget that all parents need to park to come in and sign your student out.
Bring a friend!
I couldn't help but notice all the smiling faces of friends dancing with friends during classes last week. If you know of someone that visited last week that would love to enroll, please be sure to let them know our deadline for spring enrollment is March 5th! After that, students will have to wait until summer to join new classes.
In the meantime, did your child invite a friend who couldn't make it last week? Feel free to bring a friend any time between now and the end of our Spring Semester enrollment!
Help keep an atmosphere of learning and focus in the studio.
Since we have many new families joining us, I want to take a moment to remind everyone of things that will help preserve a safe and focused learning atmosphere for our students during classes.
* Parents of younger students are welcome to watch class, however, we encourage you to allow your child to grow in independence by leaving them when both the parent and child feel comfortable.
* While waiting for you child please keep phones on silent and remember that there is no videoing or picture taking during class in order to protect the privacy of other students. Feel free to take a picture of your student on their own or ask another parent for permission before taking a picture of their child with yours. (You will have the opportunity to video and photograph your children during parent observation week, provided all the parents are comfortable with this.)
* Help your child come prepared for ballet class by assisting them with their hair (pulled back into a ballet bun). Not sure how to get their hair to cooperate? Come a few minutes early to class (or stay a few minutes after) and she would be happy to show you how to master the ballet bun.
Thank you for helping keeping classes a calm and focused learning space for our dancers to have fun and grow in their abilities!
February & March Dates to Remember
February 20th - BWMR Closed!
March 2nd - Deadline to donate items for the WRC
March 3rd - Dancer Strong Gala Performance
March 10 - 12 - Star Talent Productions, 1st Competition!
March 16th - 19th - BWMR partners with Radford Theatre to present Beauty & the Beast!
March 25 - Star Land Productions, 2nd Competition!
We have a busy month ahead of us! I'm sure we will have a great time together as we serve our community, head off to competition and get involved with the release of the newest Disney movie! I'm so glad to have you and your students as part of the Ballet with Miss Rachel family!
With so much excitement,
Rachel offers updates & insights to her ballet students and parents concerning all things dance related!